If you need to assert your independence from your mother, therefore, the dream may mean that rescue is at hand - rescue from the possessive psychological grip of your mother. See also Mother.
(2) The sea may represent the feminine in genera]. In this case your dream may be drawing your attention to (the need for) some remedy for an imbalance in your psyche caused, for example, by insufficient assertiveness. See also Woman; and see pages 46-49 on anima / animus.
(3) The sea may be a symbol of the unconscious. In this case, the aircraft in the dream may symbolize reason rescuing you from a hitherto uncontrolled sea of emotions - uncontrolled because unrecognized and repressed.
NB To be ‘rescued from the unconscious’ means only to put an end to a situation in which vour life is being determined and shaped by forces outside vour control (a situation symbolized bv drowning). It does not mean that the unconscious is itself a negative, harmful thing. On the contrary, it is vour unconscious that is telling vou - in the dream - that something has gone wrong in your life and what you must do to put vour house in order.
(4) For Jung the first stage of the individuation process is the establishing of the person’s individual ego-identity, and this involves a struggle of consciousness to lift itself out of the all-encompassing darkness of unconscious existence. See also Drowning.... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
To dream of failure at least gives us the opportunity to face that fear in a manageable fashion.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
To dream that he fails in his suit, signifies that he only needs more masterfulness and energy in his daring, as he has already the love and esteem of his sweetheart.
(Contrary dreams are those in which the dreamer suffers fear, and not injury.) For a young woman to dream that her life is going to be a failure, denotes that she is not applying her opportunities to good advantage.
For a business man to dream that he has made a failure, forebodes loss and bad management, which should be corrected, or failure threatens to materialize in earnest. ... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
2. Anxiety over project or dilemma.
3. Review plans and activities for potential problems.
4. Feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem. ... New American Dream Dictionary
To dream of failure in a business means you are letting fear cloud all your dealings and must change this or suffer a real loss in revenue.... Tryskelion Dream Interpretation
The others were way ahead of me jumping the fences. I couldn’t catch up, and one fence I came to grew to a huge height and was like a steel barrier. I couldn’t get over it and felt a failure’ (Ron S). Ron had not done well at school, had not taken any particular training, had no steady relationship or children. In his late 20s, Ron looked at his friends, married with families and steady jobs, and felt a failure. From the dream he realised he was viewing life as a competitive race to succeed. This was stopping him from following his real interest, psychotherapy, which his family viewed as playing games. He could ride his horse into the fields and explore. He did, by going to Amenca, training, raising a family.
In general, failure indicates comparison; competitiveness; it sometimes depicts alternatives—failure is the alternative to success. So the failure might be ‘because’. See Is there a because factor in the dream? in dream processing; falling. ... A Guide to Dreams and Sleep Experiences
2- The fear of failure is an almost universal fear, and to dream of failure may give us the opportunity to face that fear in an acceptable way.
3- Depression or spiritual frustration.
The failure we may feel at the hands of a greater power.... Ten Thousand Dream Dictionary
To dream of failure in a business means you are letting fear cloud all your dealings and must change this or suffer a real loss in revenue.
A woman who dreams of failing in love will if she does not change some of the things she has been doing and become more self reliable.... Encyclopedia of Dreams
Stick to it, you’ll succeed.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
Such dreams may stem from childhood fears of punishment / withdrawal of love and reflect a continuing self-programming for failure-anxiety.
If so, you need to distinguish two kinds of perfectionism: first, the sort that causes constant striving for unrealistic goals - this is a neurotic form of perfectionism; and secondly, aiming at being true to yourself, with a readiness to respond positively to inner promptings towards a fuller embodiment of your ideal self, but also with a readiness to accept and love yourself as you are. Your standards, like your clothes, should fit you.
Above all, do not allow yourself to be overwhelmed and crippled by past failures. Instead, stay in the present, and don’t accept a continual reiteration of ‘can’t5 from yourself: ‘can’t5 usually means ‘won’t5, and Svon’t5 comes from something in your unconscious that needs to be brought into your consciousness (see Childhood Recollections, sections (1) and (2)).... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
In the past, this dream had opposite meaning: it predicted success. Similarly, success in dreams predicted failure.... The Big Dictionary of Dreams
If your dreams often feature themes of failure or missed opportunities, instead of focusing on what is wrong with your life, try to lay more emphasis on what is right whilst ridding yourself of the negative ‘glass half empty’ perspective on life. Losing a race in your dream, especially if you were pipped at the post, indicates the frustration and sometimes humiliation of realizing the limits of your potential.... The Element Encyclopedia
To rescue others, foretells that you will be esteemed for your good deeds. ... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
2. A close call, an avoided disaster.
3. Reverse: plans for recovery need to be reviewed for faults.
4. A need to remove oneself from a situation or relationship in waking life. ... New American Dream Dictionary
The knight rescuing the maiden signifies the idea of the untouched feminine being rescued from her own passion.
2- When we have put others in danger in dreams, we are required to rescue them. We are then able to show a degree of nobility and courage which engenders a feel-good factor and allows us to have power.
3- Spiritual rescue is generally acccptcd as relinquishment for iost souls’, whether they are this side of the veil or not.... Ten Thousand Dream Dictionary
If we do not know them, then the character may represent part of our own personality that we need to pay attention to.
The knight rescuing the maiden signifies the idea of the untouched feminine being rescued from her own passion.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
To rescue others, foretells that you will be appreciated by others for your good deeds.... My Dream Interpretation
(2) Are you being rescued? From what? Some threatening animal? See also Animal(s), section (4). From drowning? That might suggest that unconscious forces have been threatening to take over. See also Air-Sea Rescue.
(3) Who is rescuing you? Psychologically speaking, there is only one person who can save you, and that is yourself. Divine redeemer or superman figures refer to a redemptive power within yourself which is quite simply the power of love, the ability to love yourself, and therefore others. (This is not to deny the reality of what people call ‘God’. But whether such a God exists as a being ‘out there5 is not knowable; what is knowable is the redemptive power of the love that you can feel within yourself whenever you manage to switch off both emotions and thoughts and just be, or be aware.)... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
If you are in earnest, help is immediately forthcoming.
If rescuing others, you may be sensing a need in someone else and seeking to be of service; or, you may be trying to save the world and ignore your own lessons.... The Dream Books Symbols
It is particularly when you have to bring about some type of business or project that the dreamer sees this. On the other hand, the person or thing that you save can be an aspect of your personality that you have previously rejected and are looking for a means of expressing it.
If you are rejected, you should analyze the dream scene in its totality. For example, being saved from the jaws of a ferocious animal could indicate that you fear something related to your instincts or nature.
If they save you from a storm at sea, it evidences how close you have been to drowning in your own emotions. The person that takes you out of danger probably symbolizes the psychological qualities and attitudes that you should take on in real life.
The most common tradition says that everyone has the potential to be a hero or superhero. Within you are hidden the resources that make you able to get what you want. In this way, nothing is impossible. ... The Big Dictionary of Dreams
If the rescuer was a stranger, a celebrity or superhuman being (or even you), your dreaming mind is prompting you to admire and adopt these qualities in your waking life. The dream intention is to inspire and encourage you to be as brave and as decisive as the heroic archetype that appeared in your dream when you confront a challenge in your waking life. Try also to identify who or what was rescued as this could help you identify what in your life needs rescuing. Identifying whom or what you or the hero is battling against will also help you identify what is threatening you in real life; this will give you an opportunity to save it.
If your hero gave you words of wisdom in your dream, pay attention to them too, as they may provide you with rich insight into your current situation.... The Element Encyclopedia
Depth Psychology: You are either very afraid, or the dream is a warning about a real danger that you need to try to avoid.... Dreamers Dictionary